Skip to main content

Skyrim: An overlook from a long-time player.

I have noticed that despite Skyrim's long-ago release date, some people still haven't played it, and that's kind of sad to me, because I consider it one of the greatest games out there, and almost nothing will take it's honor away. Maybe TES VI will. Probably not, though.

As I will highlight, there are lots of things to enjoy about Skyrim, but there a few things in particular that stick out:

1.) Well thought-out story that *can* last you months of gameplay, if you have things to do Monday through Friday. Otherwise, if you have infinite free time, and you never need sleep, maybe a couple of weeks.

2.) The inclusion of lots of little side-quests that are still fairly well-detailed, and make sense. Some even have their own timelines. Such side-questlines as these include those of:

The Dark Brotherhood

The Dark Brotherhood is a group of assassins that refers to themselves as a family (a really messed up family at that.). Essentially, somebody always performs a taboo ritual, which the "Night Mother", a rotting corpse that still has an entity that can speak to somebody in every generation, can hear. The "listener", or the one person in every generation that can hear the words of the Night Mother, then collects the details of the ritual (who it was done by and where) to form a contract with the person who performed the ritual initially. The contract is over when the client's subject is dead and the Dark Brotherhood has been paid. When the Dovahkiin enters the Dark Brotherhood by accidentally doing one of their contracts for them, they run into some trouble, however. I shan't spoil the sideline any further.

The Thieves Guild

The Thieves Guild is, as the name implies, a group of thieves who need a place to hide, so they chose the underground waterways of Riften. I'll be honest with you. I haven't actually fully completed this set of quests yet, but I still won't spoil what I do know of the beginnings (first 3-4 quests) of it.

The College of Winterhold

The College of Winterhold is a place of knowledge that flows more freely than the water you see in Whiterun, or the rumors that can be heard in the taverns around Skyrim. I have not played this questline in a long time, but as far as I can recall, getting in is easy. You just need to conjure up a flame entity, the spell/tome for which is granted to you by a member of the college. When a fellow student causes trouble during research, the solution is up to you, Dovahkiin.

The Companions

The companions is a group of free-thinking people in Whiterun, based on a history of tradition, and they also carry a common bloodline. It's no secret that this "common bloodline" is that of the Lycanthropists, or Werewolves. Being a werewolf is apparently taboo in society, and you can be jailed for turning into a werewolf in public after you gain the blood of another Lycanthropist.

Factions (Imperials/Stormcloaks)

This is, by far, the most discussed questline of the entire game of Skyrim. You can be Imperial, Stormcloak, or uninvolved, but you simply cannot be both an Imperial and a Stormcloak at the same time, as the stories directly oppose one another. Here are the pros and cons of each side:

Stormcloaks:
Pros:
*Believes in Freedom of Religion, even for those who believe in Talos/Ysmir/Tiber Septim
Cons:
*Holds a racist belief that Nords are superior to all other races, and that Skyrim "belongs to the Nords".
*Has to seriously fight for power.

Imperials:
Pros:
*Welcomes all races to Skyrim
*Already has the upper hand, and is in control of Skyrim.
Cons:
*Due to a treaty with the Aldemeri Dominion, has to ban the worship of Talos/Ysmir/Tiber Septim.

Something you may notice in the game is the fact that the worship of Tiber Septim was banned, yet the currency (Septims) was named after him. Why for certain that is, I do not know. I just kind of hypothesize that the empire doesn't really want to ban the worship of Talos.

There are other sets of questlines, especially if you get the DLCs for the game (Dawnguard/Hearthfire/Dragonborn), but I just wanted to give you a taste of them.

Individual quests that make for an excellent thing to do when bored:
Laid to Rest (that one in Morthal in which you get to kill a vampire.)
A Night to Remember (the one where you get into a drinking contest and have to figure out all the crazy things you did that you couldn't remember).
Blood on The Ice (Find the murderer of 3 young women)

There are plenty of others, but yet again, a taste is all that is necessary.

Overall, the game is very good. There are a lot of quests, a lot of scenery/good views, miscellaneous features that are fun (Like trading and interaction).

I would most certainly recommend this game to absolutely anybody who is thinking of buying it or wants it, but is questioning the decision. Thinking time: The game is so well-known on the internet, that I can only wonder who would question the idea of getting it?

If the game ever gets boring to you, you can always mod it. There are lots of tools out there for doing so, not the least of which is provided by Bethesda and is called the Creation Kit. It's really cool to see publishers getting more involved in the communities they start, and help their communities customize their games the way that they want to and really just get an overall sense of community and collaborative effort for better gameplay experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An embed of my Twitter account!

This might seem like a rather boring post, but this is an embed of my Twitter account with a prefill of text so that you can let me know that you visited my site, and I will know that I at least even have just 1 viewer/visitor. Even this will keep me running this site. If I don't receive any visitors whatsoever, or at least anybody informing that I have viewers, I will quite literally eventually take down this page and put a completely different service in it's place. Maybe a Minecraft Server, maybe a Social Networking page or forum... who knows? Tweet to @LeviSoftware

A Train of Thought

I have got to stop formatting these in proper MLA. It makes everything look weird, as some previous posts will show you. As I should proceed to say, I've been facing a strange anomaly lately, which is that I have plenty of time to do plenty of things, but yet I struggle to find time to do things when I come up with things to do. The entire situation is near driving me mad. As I am writing this, it is 3:22 PM on Saturday. Where did Friday go? There are only 8 1/2 hours of Saturday remaining! I get paid on Thursday for my two days of work in February, yet the very thing I would like is something that I cannot seem to find. I will need to eventually change which case I am using to contain my PC, because my current case does not even support the 360mm radiator with which I am currently cooling my CPU. The radiator is laying across the top of the case, secured only by zip ties and rubber bands. It is an atrocity, and an insult to the PC Master Race. Console Peasants approach me and